Monday, October 3, 2011

The Tree of Life



If you follow God's precepts, you will be entitled to the tree of life, and therefore enter the Holy City.

God’s Word seemed further comfort where He says, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." (Revelation 22:14) We felt such a comfort in this assurance, that if we had a right to the tree of life, and the fruit given us was by an elder’s hand, and that Abraham himself had refreshed and immortalized us from the river of God which came from the throne itself, that the angel at the gate would not debar us entering now.  Just at this time my mother, who had been busily engaged in conversation with others, came to 
me and said:
"You need have no fears.  It gave me much joy when many years ago I was passing near where the angel was recording the names of those who had been born again, and seeing your name I at once asked the angel who it was.  He called another angel who had just come from the scenes of earthly conflict, where they were having great religious awakenings, and asked him if he could tell who these were whose names were just written.  "Oh," he said, "I have just been among them," and described everything so minutely that I had all assurance it was you.  Then other names which I saw registered were from the same place.  My old home, our old home.  Indeed the memory of it is dear to me as I think of it now.  We will talk over the details of it someday; as things have been since I left you all.  My soul was filled with exceeding great joy when I saw your name.  Then the angel told me when he found I was your mother, that he went with you and your cousin, whom I knew so well, one night as you went from the scenes of prayer and stood by your side late at night, while you solemnly made a vow and pledged faithfulness to God and to each other, that he went and woke your father who was sleeping in another room and led him out to witness your covenant.  Oh, you may know that not only I, but the angels rejoiced with me when they brought me the tidings.  He also told me of the conversion of other members of our family, and many more in the neighborhood.