Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Meet Adam and Eve, our First Parents


Adan and Eve were forgiven by God for their transgression. Hear their account of their life in paradise, and when they were driven out of paradise.

We were soon introduced to Adam and Eve, the first parents of the chosen race.  It seemed passingly strange for us to think we were side by side with those of such early date.  Abel, Enoch and Methuselah were also in the chariot.  Turning to Abel, I addressed him and said: "Oh, thou first-born son, born of those who never were born!"

"True," said Adam, who overheard the conversation, "we never were born, but created.  I remember so distinctly when first I opened my eyes to behold the creations about me.  I knew nothing, absolutely nothing at all.  I felt the breezes and saw the waving of the branches of the trees and heard the sweet voice of birds and the lowing of cattle.  God spoke intelligently to me about the fruit of the trees for food.  I quickly learned how to satisfy my hunger and thirst.  But I longed for a mate, for I found none among all the creations of the garden.  God gave me this woman as a helpmeet for me, so I found she was "bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh," and I have loved her ever since."

At this Eve blushingly smiled and said: "You can guess our courtship was brief.  It was me or none.  But we soon learned life’s lesson stow, which all the world has repeated after us."

"Oh, Adam and Eve, tell us of your early experience in the world."

"Certainly," said Adam, "with pleasure," and Eve made a lovely bow of assent.

"Well to begin: The garden where we were first placed was a lovely home indeed.  No grander place could ever be found upon the earth.  I have had descriptions of all kinds of earthly gardens, but nothing equaled paradise.  Everything was perfectly delightful.  Fruits of all kinds were ripening and hanging ready to our hand.  Nothing forbidden to us but one tree.  But, oh, that sin I never can forget it!  What penalties followed our disobedience!  The shame, disgrace and alienation from God!

It was a sad day when God sent us out to till the ground and dig for ourselves.  After we heard our sentence, we were very reluctant to leave, so there came two of the angels with scourges in their hands and without parleying they drove us out.  Oh, the sorrow and tears of that day!  The angels had already told us of the tree of life, and its marvelous imparting virtues.  The whole garden was charged and filled with the aroma of this tree.  The very breezes and atmosphere were surcharged with life, but death was creeping upon us.  We felt the chill and pall of a terrible stroke.  We were simply out of harmony with our environments.  The curse of death was upon us, and God sent us out to till the ground which He had likewise cursed."

"Did not God show you mercy and kindness and give the promise of a Redeemer for you?"

"Surely, He did, and gave us proofs of His love toward us in the garments He gave us to cover our shame."

"Did this signify anything to you then as an offering made by blood for sin?"

"Indeed, it did," said Adam, "for God fully explained to us the conditions of pardon.  This we taught to our children and Cain knew it full well as did Abel, but Cain did not believe the details concerning the sin offering and this will explain to you why Abel brought a better sacrifice than Cain and by it though dead, yet he speaketh."

"How was it, Abel?" I said.

"Just as father has told you," replied Abel.

"What about Cain?" I asked.

"He was self-willed and despised God’s way.  Poor boy, he sowed his seeds of unbelief and reaped his harvest among the lost."

"Will you tell me more about the results of your early sin when God drove you from the garden?"

"A thousand times I have told the story, but will cheerfully tell it again to you.  Little did I comprehend before our sin the great depth and meaning of transgression.  I know all that Moses wrote concerning it, and much beside, and his words were true; so also were the words of the Apostle Paul, all of which I know, for they have been repeated to me many times over.  We had unbounded liberties in the garden and should have been content, but there stood the tree of knowledge very near the tree of life.  God has said, "Of every tree thou mayest freely eat except one." He threatened us with death should we disobey.  Why we did disobey has been the awful problem of our lives.  God let the penalty fall upon us.  We became mortal and subject to death.  The grant of immortality was withdrawn.  We were depraved, and alienated from God.  We lost His image and were without hope and without God.  Only through His infinite mercy were we saved, and have the privilege of these mansions of bliss."
Go to this link
image from