Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jonah's Account of his Experiene with the Whale



There are skeptics about the Prophet Jonah's three-day stay in the stomach of the whale. Here is Jonah's  account from heaven:

"The story is all true," said Jonah.  "How I lived in the midst of the great fish I cannot tell.  I only know I did live the three days within the fish.  But he was fully as sick of the job as I was myself.  I have been asked these same questions thousands of times.  It is an old story to me, yet ever new and ever true because God’s hand was present both to punish and to save.  My continued disobedience would have meant Nineveh’s destruction, but my repentance and faithfulness meant their salvation.  Yes, the story is true, whatever scoffers may say miracle indeed it was — but it was followed by the greatest revival any city ever knew.  My punishment and repentance was a sign to the Ninevites.  They repented God had mercy and I was angry, oh, sinful Jonah that I was, but He had mercy on me also, and many of the Ninevites were saved and are now in heaven."

"Oh, Jonah," I cried, "I wish you could only go back and repeat your story on earth again.  Many cavilers are ridiculing the word of God over your experience."

"Yes," said Jonah, "and they will do it to their own destruction.  Many great and strange things have occurred and will yet occur — some of them so strange that men will still doubt and cavil as they always have; nevertheless they are true."

"True indeed," I replied, "we have known children and animals born with two heads on opposite ends of one body, a peculiar working of some law of God producing what we called monstrosities.  When other things strange occur in the physical realm, we say a miracle has occurred, and then men cavil and deny.  But we are glad indeed to have met you and heard your story from your own lips.  We have always believed God’s word was true.  Our Lord made reference to you eight hundred years after your time on earth, making you a sign of His own death and resurrection."


Go to Chap 26, On with Throne-- Jonah, the Prophet for more 
image from Clip Art