Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Catholic’s Sacrament of Penance

As a Catholic, we are advised to do confession at least once a month. Once a year is also acceptable as long as you do not have a mortal sin (grave).

I have not been to confession for quite a while, kept postponing till I felt the burden.

I was supposed to go to the wake of a dead relative and offer a group prayer. I stopped by the Sta Cruz Church to buy a perpetual Eucharistic mass card for the deceased. This led me to do my confession in the same church.

Before I went to the confessional box, I prayed to God, to help me think about my sins. I have five, three violations of the 10 commandments of God and two from the seven capital sins. Remember the acronym PALEGAS? (Pride, anger, lust, envy, greed, avarice and sloth).

When I was at the confessional box, tears were flowing down my eyes, I felt that by saying of the sins, it was as if the sins were being shed from my soul. The words of the priest, was like hearing the words of God. “Our God is merciful, forgiving. Forgive the people who have hurt you, and God will also forgive you. As a penance, pray Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be. I now absolve you of your sins.”

After the confession, I felt whole again.

Below is an explanation from Wiki about the Catholic confession

.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession

Also below, is a guide on how to make a confession:
http://www.catholic.org/prayers/confession.php]