Saturday, June 19, 2010

Depression: watch out for the tell-tale signs

Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity. A depressed person will experience or display some of the following:]
• Persistent sadness, anxiety or feelings of emptiness
• Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness and/or pessimism.
• Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
• Contemplating suicide or suicide attempt
• Problems concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
• Fatigue and loss of energy
• Persistent aches, pains or digestive problems that are resistant to
treatment
• Irritability or restlessness
• Insomnia, waking early, or excessive sleeping
• Overeating, or appetite loss
• Loss of interest in activities that once were pleasurable (e.g., hobbies,
sex, social activities, etc.)
(source: Wikipedia)

As a child of five I was hyperactive, I would join the boys in “tumbang preso)
(hitting empty cans of milk with a stone), or jumping to the metal bar at about half meter away. On one occasion I failed to reach the bar, so down I went on the pavement. I lost consciousness. This did not prevent me from joining the other physical games. I was tagged as a “tomboy” (gay). I was very happy just as any child doing her things without any responsibility.

I was berated by my father for a mischief which was not my fault. I was mad, I saw the blade of my father, and on impulse I did a very tiny slit on my wrist, and specks of blood came out, I got scared, hurriedly taped it with plasters. This was probably the reason why the sight of blood makes me shake.

I didn’t know what came to my mind. During that time you would not dare answer back
I didn’t know about death yet, (this was the era of no television yet), or taking one’s life was all about, or God’s teaching. It was only in the third grade in religion class that I learned about God. So us siblings didn’t get it from our parents, they were busy in their work, or they would not be able to give what they don’t have. Just like what is probably happening now in some families.

Despite the problems at home, I made good grades in grade school, as well as high school. But come college, I also had an 8 to 5 job, I was so stressed out that classmates would say how haggard and fatigued I looked. Imagine coming home from school at 10:00 p.m, did school assignments, slept at about 2:00 a.m then wake up at 6:00 a.m., this meant a daily sleep of four hours only. I felt some of the symptoms of depression mentioned above like feelings of emptiness, irritability, excessive sleeping on weekends, problems concentrating, and fatigue.
During class hours, I couldn’t focus, my mind was everywhere except classroom, it revolved around home and office. I was bogged down physically and emotionally. I was not happy. I graduated just a little above average.

You can have a depressed child or teen if they are not given the right physical, emotional and spiritual nourishment. Emotional IQs is now given importance, not just IQ. A child or teen could be emotionally paralyzed if not given the right foundation.

Life’s problems would be there to hurdle, be strengthened by God’s wisdom:

Psalm 46:1-3
1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountain fall into the heart of the sea
3 The the waters roar and foam, and the mountains quake with their surging
.

I read Psalm 23 every morning without fail.

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.






I would like to share this story on depression which could lead to suicide

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/09/10/moezzi.suicide.prevention/index.html#fbid=JtUk4r45LiP&wom=false