Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Black Nazarene of Quiapo

image from My Sari sari store

The Feast of the Black Nazarene is celebrated every January of each year  and thousands of devotees from all over the country come to Quiapo, Manila to attend novenas and join the procession from the Rizal Park to the Basilica Minor in Quiapo. Devotees are hopeful that their prayer requests will be granted, some of which are healing of body illness, relationship  problem alleviation, financial independence, etc.

I have not been to one though I was a Friday mass devotee, kissing the foot of the Black Nazarene, going up the stairs equivalent to three-storey building (it used to be placed that high and devotees lined up to kiss the icon's fragrant foot.

That was in high school yet with my classmate Lydia Pangilinan. We were regular visitors every Friday, after class hours. With our meager  allowance, we would go to our favorite house for pandesal (bread) with corned beef and pineapple juice after mass.At that time what I enjoyed most was the bonding with my classmate and our snacks. For me it was just a ritual, I didn't even have any prayer request. 

I was not a Bible-reading person. We didn't have it at home nor did I seek it in bookstores. Neither did I have lessons at home. I had a few months catechism in grade school, I went to Sunday mass not really knowing GOD.

It was only in 2010 when I had this disabling disease that I sought GOD. There were no whys why  I have this sickness. I was housebound. Through Internet surfing, I found God through these websites: King James Bible Online, Divine Revelations, Kingdom of Jesus Christ, and  SMNI.

I was a staunched Catholic up until November 2010. I served our  parish in several capacities. I thank God because through His chastisement I was enlightened. I consider this phase of my life the fulfillment of His Word to me, because in 2001 1 asked God what His plans are for me. He answered through the scripture in:
Luke 5:10 Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
The devotees of the Black Nazarene or Saints are being deceived by Satan. He can also do miracles, but your soul belong to him. 

One of God's commandments  which Catholics violate and rationalize through their apologetics is:


 Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

We do not need icons, statues, images to call on God. He is omniscient (all-knowing, all seeing), omnipresent  (present everywhere all the time), omnipotent (all powerful, almighty). Call on Him directly. Even our thoughts can be heard by GOD. He is a spirit, so call and worship Him in spirit.


John 4:23  God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth."

Ask God for discernment. Are you really following His Word. Consult King James Bible, the unabridged, untwisted one. Knowing the truth and practicing it will save us from damnation. Judgment is at the door.